It was one of those days. You know, toss a lot of good and bad together, add a little dressing of humour and you get salad days :) maybe. It went like this -
1. I decided to walk to work. Since the postman and a neighbour had to push my car out of the snow yesterday, I thought that it was better to leave it in the drift, that I had to drive it back into, when I got home from work last night. Street parking in winter isn't fun.
2. I was a little late for work, not because I was walking, but because I had decided to be super woman and organize dinner before I left for work. My plan was to boil some rice; let it sit in the fridge during the day and then stir fry it with shrimp for dinner in the evening. What I had forgotten, though was that I wasn't super woman - no kidding!! So what I actually did was put a pot of water on the stove, start a blog post and let the pot boil dry right under my nose. Now, not only do I have no cooked rice, I also have a blackened pot, which I will have to explain at one point!!
3. Fortunately the walk to work was pleasant - very bright and sunny, so much so, in fact, that I decided to try some ice skating at the outdoor rink in the park near work. Well, I had to do something to take my mind off this morning's disaster. I packed up my skates; walked all the way over to the rink, only to find that they hadn't cleared the ice from Wednesday's blizzard, so I had to turn around and walk all the way back again, sigh!!
4. It was now about lunchtime. On Fridays I usually treat myself to Brie and avocado on an baguette from Thobor's. It's quite an organized procedure. You place your order, pay and wait off to the side for someone to bring you out your sandwich. No problem. My sandwich came and I left. It wasn't until I got back to the office, that I realized my sandwich was actually someone else's order. I'm not sure how that happened. So instead of my Friday treat, I got someone else's sandwich with sardines, sliced egg and lettuce - nice, but not what I had ordered!!
5. Finally, there was a lull in the afternoon, when nothing horrible happened!! Then a devastatingly handsome man came down stairs looking for the owner of a convertible Mercedes in the parking lot. I would loved to have said it was mine. Well, apparently, he had backed into it. In fact, the injured car was actually parked in my spot, but since I had walked to work, my spot was empty or at least should have been!! Well, Mercedes, it serves you right for taking someone else's spot. I was so glad, that it wasn't my car!! And I did so enjoy my brief chat with this person who looked like a cross between Robert Redford and Paul Newman in Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid. He was even wearing a leather fedora!!
6. Things were looking up!! It was still quite light out, when I left for my walk home and my iPhone shuffled up a lot of great music, including Max Boyce singing about walking to Merthyr Tydfil in the moonlight - it's a folk music "thing" and I disappeared into another world, with no disasters for a little while, anyway!!
The picture? It's actually one of the many dings that my old car has suffered in the aforementioned parking spot.
Have a wonderful day!!