Apparently contractors these days do the labour and get some of the materials, but by and large, we are expected to get items, such as tile, faucets, shower heads, soap dishes etc ourselves. Also, since these are not everyday items, they are not stocked close to home. There is a lot of driving in traffic, wasting time in stores, ordering items that take forever to arrive and you know how it goes.
For the most part, the puzzle is fitting together, except for "The Soap Dish"!! It reminds me of that last straw that broke the camel's back. How could something so small, so insignificant be such a major pain in the neck, err back? This is how:
|rejected soap dish|
1. I went to the local hardware store. They had nothing that could easily be mounted on the shower wall. Plumbing stores don't carry simple soap dishes. They stock dispensaries that look like the serving area of your local pub. I want a shower not a beer bath!
2. I went on-line. I found a simple soap dish for $5.00. However, the store was miles away. No, they would not mail it out. Well, they would for $50.00. I was frantic. The contractor was almost finished and I had to have the dish installed before he left or, you know, it would never get done!!
3. I went back to the bathroom store where we bought our original fixtures. They had soap dishes in spades, however, most of them were over $100.00 and some were close to $400.00. I could buy a china service for 6 at that price. Believe me I wasn't planning to eat in the shower!!
4. Fortunately, down in the corner of the display, there were two soap dishes at 30% off. Now they were originally $50.00 & $70.00 respectively. I would have bought the $50.00 one except that it stood out rather menacingly from the wall and I worried that my husband, in the shower, without his glasses, might impale himself on it :) Then I would have to explain to the police how he had died. Agatha Christie would understand :)
5. I bought the $70.00 one. Brought it home, only to have the contractor say that it wouldn't work, because the glass fitting could loosen, fall and shatter!!
Back to the drawing board with only a day or two left!!
Have a great day!!