Since so many popular blogs organize their posts with a number and a list, as in "10 ways to pretend that Monday doesn't exist." I decided to try a post or two using the same format. I'll let you know, if it generates more hits. So here is - 10 Reasons To Love Carrots.
1. Carrots produce carrot seeds which are used in the making of perfume. Hands up if you knew that; I didn't. According to the site Fragrantia, carrot seeds lend a....
....rooty, iris-like note with earthy, raw potato/turnip and woody facets, used to provide an earth note to otherwise airy compositions.
I think its a nose "thing." Anyway the following perfumes and colognes use carrot seeds in their distinctive scents - Dirty English for Men from Juicy Couture, A Touch of Pink from Lacoste, plus 22 others.....and you thought that carrots just improved your eye-sight :)
2. Carrots provide a reason to travel. There is a Carrot Museum in Britain. Though where in Britain, I'm not sure; because after spending several minutes on the site, I couldn't find a location. However I did find a few more reasons to love carrots. Hint: this may be an on-line venue, so maybe it's just an imaginary trip.....dream on!!
3. Carrots make great musical instruments. Although they are mainly carved into horns and Flutenvegs, you will be totally amazed, at what one can do with a carrot - as a musical instrument. Just click on the link.
4. Carrots are the inspiration for some great toys. OK, the toys are plastic, but there are baseball bats, golf clubs, etc. in the shape of carrots. Presumably these are toys for vegetarians.
5. Carrots and carrot seeds have been used for centuries for medicinal purposes. The site Care2.com lists 10 benefits of these crunchy power foods, including - the prevention of Cancer, Heart Disease and Stroke. This is serious stuff.
6. Facts about carrots make terrific trivia quizzes. For example, did you know that there is a carrot pie flavoured jelly bean? Neither did I. In fact, I have never even heard of carrot pie - carrot cake, yes - pie, no :)
7. Carrot seeds are produced from the beautiful flower known as Queen Anne's Lace. So you can enjoy a profusion of delicate white flowers while waiting for your seeds to ripen.
8. Not only do carrots and their seeds make tasty additions to soups, stews and baked goods, they can also be eaten raw. I was once told that raw carrots have negative calories. That is, you burn more calories by eating a carrot, than you add to your body. So in effect you could actually lose weight simply by eating carrots.....just remember everything in moderation. People have been known to turn a little orange from too much beta-carotene :)
9. The orange in carrots is a very popular colour these days, helped along by a book and a TV series - Orange Is The New Black.
10. Carrots have a risqué side - Adult carrot humour.
Orange you glad I wrote this post :)
Have a wonderful day!!